YIM   IP Logged
JStewart4
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Re: SMS NATS INFO
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 1:13pm

$140.00 to get in each night, $300.00 start ? REALLY ? LOL
5th place in the main is only $50.00 more than 5th place in the SS.. Nice...

IP Logged
TALON75
LMR God

DO IT INTHE DIRT

Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 2:12pm

JStewart4 wrote on 04/24/13 at 1:13pm:
$140.00 to get in each night, $300.00 start ? REALLY ? LOL
5th place in the main is only $50.00 more than 5th place in the SS.. Nice...

or the Hobby's for that matter!!

the entry each night is only 90 the first night, 50 entry and 40 pit pass, at least that is how I read it .

IP Logged
steph
LMR God

www.ByStephanieOdom.
com

Denver,  CO
Reply #3 - 04/24/13 at 2:48pm

I think you are adding the $50 non-qualifiers to the total cost, Brett Favre. It's 90, if you don't make the main you get $50. Hope to see you out there!!

WWW   IP Logged
ObertelloRacing
LMR Senior

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hollister,CA
Reply #4 - 04/24/13 at 7:50pm

Lake Time.

Sponsored by: ConFab Corp. , BSB Manufacturing, Hawk Brakes, Steitz Service, Carcerano Cylinder Heads, Jennstar Motorsports, Carly's Performance, WestCoastDirt Racing Promotions by Eric Oldes, Chris's Precision Machine
WWW   IP Logged
JStewart4
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #5 - 04/25/13 at 8:04am

I posted 14 minutes after the SMS NATS INFO post was up and I'm almost positive that it was 100 entry each night thats how I came up with 140  (100 entry and 40 pit pass)    If I don't get 1 of my engines back in the next couple weeks I will just be the drunk guy in the stands anyway..

IP Logged
mudslinger47
LMR God

Well crap stuck with
the dickweed for
four more

Reply #6 - 04/25/13 at 9:07am

People that don't support the DLM's will soon wonder why all the tracks will go to 650 to win and 50 bucks to start like some of the northern Ca tracks.  Tracks can't pay good purses with 13 cars and you can't race a 50 to 60K car logically for 50 bucks to start...And I thought the Super Streets were in trouble...

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, I JUST DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY!!
  IP Logged
steph
LMR God

www.ByStephanieOdom.
com

Denver,  CO
Reply #7 - 04/25/13 at 9:54am

JStewart4 wrote on 04/25/13 at 8:04am:
I posted 14 minutes after the SMS NATS INFO post was up and I'm almost positive that it was 100 entry each night thats how I came up with 140  (100 entry and 40 pit pass)    If I don't get 1 of my engines back in the next couple weeks I will just be the drunk guy in the stands anyway..

Looks like the second night is now 140 and the first night 90.

WWW   IP Logged
JStewart4
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #8 - 04/25/13 at 10:51am

Duane,
At what point does the DLM owner's have the right to question the cost/purse ratio before " supporting the DLM's"? It cost the car owner the same amount to race doesn't matter if there is 13 cars are 30 cars so it seems the problem isn't the car owners. The cost to run a DLM goes up every year yet the purse goes down.. Example: tires are 150 dollars each and the backs are hurt after a night, thats $300. in tires + $180. fuel + $140. to enter = $620. You have to finish 3rd in the main to make $120. Not counting wear and tear. Remember If you got 20 fast cars you have a fast car finishing 20th. ....  I know your not going to make money racing but we can atleast try to limit the loss. With all that said, I'm planning on running both SS and LM both nights.. Smiley

IP Logged
formercrewguy
LMR God

The shrub brothers
are punks

Arizona
Reply #9 - 04/25/13 at 12:51pm

JStewart4 wrote on 04/25/13 at 10:51am:
Duane,
At what point does the DLM owner's have the right to question the cost/purse ratio before " supporting the DLM's"? It cost the car owner the same amount to race doesn't matter if there is 13 cars are 30 cars so it seems the problem isn't the car owners. The cost to run a DLM goes up every year yet the purse goes down.. Example: tires are 150 dollars each and the backs are hurt after a night, thats $300. in tires + $180. fuel + $140. to enter = $620. You have to finish 3rd in the main to make $120. Not counting wear and tear. Remember If you got 20 fast cars you have a fast car finishing 20th. ....  I know your not going to make money racing but we can atleast try to limit the loss. With all that said, I'm planning on running both SS and LM both nights.. Smiley

I remember when you were a shoe-in for 3rd or better.........

Grin.....git er done.

"99% of Muslims aren't terrorists, but 99% of terrorists are Muslim"
  IP Logged
ObertelloRacing
LMR Senior

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hollister,CA
Reply #10 - 04/25/13 at 1:27pm

First off, Payout is good not great but good better than most I guess.
We have just the one motor together at this point and we are picking a few LM races to run this year mostly at Bakersfield which is by far the area where we have the most sponsor support. Have to support those who support us. That being said, all costs involved makes it a money loosing deal anyway-anywhere-anytime....but the fun factor is off the charts. SMS has been good to us in the past but last year we had terrible luck racing and otherwise at SMS,  so we are choosing to sit this one out at this time... things might change though.
And for the "northern tracks" I really believe they're pushing the limit to see what they can get away with and still get LM's to race, period I doubt it has much to do with the past car counts or quality of racing.
And it's always nice to see a big number to win but that's for one car I always thought that maybe the winner's share could be smaller and the difference spread out more through the field in any class of race car buts that tradition and it is hard to change. Now I have to go kill bugs.....Good luck to everybody who chooses to race the Nationals....Ron

Sponsored by: ConFab Corp. , BSB Manufacturing, Hawk Brakes, Steitz Service, Carcerano Cylinder Heads, Jennstar Motorsports, Carly's Performance, WestCoastDirt Racing Promotions by Eric Oldes, Chris's Precision Machine
WWW   IP Logged
old fart racing 8
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rock!!!!

Reply #11 - 04/25/13 at 2:13pm

CT 525! Burns 40 dollars fuel per race. That saves you 140 over race gas!

John Outta trucking
  IP Logged
elmer
LMR Rookie

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 04/25/13 at 3:55pm

I have to agree with Mr. Obertello on this one. A guy that travels any kind of distance has to get a hotel room,food ,gas for truck and race car,pit passes and entry fees. It will cost 1000.00 for the 2 nights of racing. This does'nt include tires or wear and tear,or any kind of damage. This is a decent payout if you are a local racer. I also think that more cars would come if there was more money spread through the field. I dont like the top heavy purses either,only 1 guy gets the reward. Good luck to all that go and support this race.

IP Logged
ObertelloRacing
LMR Senior

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hollister,CA
Reply #13 - 04/25/13 at 6:25pm

Who's this Mr. Obertello guy?  And yea for a two day show pit passes for the crew fuel food lodging etc would be close if not a bit more than $1000.00.....but we do go to win and I'm confident in my driver's ability and his setup knowledge that we would be right there for the win and with some luck even end up on the plus side.
Really for us maybe we just have a few different priorities this year....

WWW   IP Logged
Chad Reichenbach
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

bakersfield
Reply #14 - 04/25/13 at 8:54pm

I got back into this just to have some fun and enjoy my midlife crisis. The 525 was what originally sold me to get a late model again, affordable motor, pump gas, expected longevity, etc. for the purse structure available. But....when I bought my car the guy made me a deal I could not refuse which included a fresh open motor (now broke). Regardless the cost vs. return is WAY out of balance. The playing field is NOT level with the 525 when there is traction! (We need to quit glorifying how it will even out when it slicks off) that's why you don't see more teams running them. Now I know everybody jumps on Nicks success with the 525 as a means to disparage any allowances for running the 525, but I must say...Nick is a better than average driver in fact he is a Fantastic driver and does his homework on racing, coupled with a Very knowledgeable crewchief. I just don't think it is fair to use Nicks success with the crate as a means of status quo rules. There needs to be more incentive to run it on all track conditions competitively (not just the slick). Better Options to run either motor on an equal playing field. keeping the big Wally motor with penalties or just on the shelf for.....hmmm Tucson?
I wholeheartedly agree with you guys the cost just to get to the track is a lot higher than it used to be, including parts, tires, pit passes, ice, sodas, water, hauler fuel,  NOW entry fees, etc. etc etc. it's crazy!
We race for FUN and we all have real jobs that pay the bills and we are willing to spend some money to enjoy this hobby that we all love but for some reason we cannot come together to control the cost on the (West coast)and its always been this way. Understand..."this is the west coast" our territory! our home! and there are some great drivers and car owners on the West coast, but it is what it is. very little purse. Regionally but Scweitzer (bako) pays the best local purse but lacks in car count? Go figure? We just don't have these big dollar Late model races with drivers who race for a living and a ton of fans supporting it.  We need to make it affordable for more racers to move up to late models and those who have them already to be able to travel in this Large area named the West coast. (There are a lot of late models Parked!)
Affordable rules = higher car count=better purse's, again=higher car count =again better purse with more fans seeing an awesome show within our Region our home (West coast). Why do we need to have cars like Moyer, Bloomquist, Owens, etc. and race for peanuts?
.......Ok I'm done venting Undecided
maybe i should just hack my front clip off my car weld a stock stub on it (SS) 3 link it and race for similar wages (comparatively) hmmmm... I might be a little more competitive too. Sorry just being a little selfish.

Chad

IP Logged
mudslinger47
LMR God

Well crap stuck with
the dickweed for
four more

Reply #15 - 04/26/13 at 4:09am

Chad Reichenbach wrote on 04/25/13 at 8:54pm:
I got back into this just to have some fun and enjoy my midlife crisis. The 525 was what originally sold me to get a late model again, affordable motor, pump gas, expected longevity, etc. for the purse structure available. But....when I bought my car the guy made me a deal I could not refuse which included a fresh open motor (now broke). Regardless the cost vs. return is WAY out of balance. The playing field is NOT level with the 525 when there is traction! (We need to quit glorifying how it will even out when it slicks off) that's why you don't see more teams running them. Now I know everybody jumps on Nicks success with the 525 as a means to disparage any allowances for running the 525, but I must say...Nick is a better than average driver in fact he is a Fantastic driver and does his homework on racing, coupled with a Very knowledgeable crewchief. I just don't think it is fair to use Nicks success with the crate as a means of status quo rules. There needs to be more incentive to run it on all track conditions competitively (not just the slick). Better Options to run either motor on an equal playing field. keeping the big Wally motor with penalties or just on the shelf for.....hmmm Tucson?
I wholeheartedly agree with you guys the cost just to get to the track is a lot higher than it used to be, including parts, tires, pit passes, ice, sodas, water, hauler fuel,  NOW entry fees, etc. etc etc. it's crazy!
We race for FUN and we all have real jobs that pay the bills and we are willing to spend some money to enjoy this hobby that we all love but for some reason we cannot come together to control the cost on the (West coast)and its always been this way. Understand..."this is the west coast" our territory! our home! and there are some great drivers and car owners on the West coast, but it is what it is. very little purse. Regionally but Scweitzer (bako) pays the best local purse but lacks in car count? Go figure? We just don't have these big dollar Late model races with drivers who race for a living and a ton of fans supporting it.  We need to make it affordable for more racers to move up to late models and those who have them already to be able to travel in this Large area named the West coast. (There are a lot of late models Parked!)
Affordable rules = higher car count=better purse's, again=higher car count =again better purse with more fans seeing an awesome show within our Region our home (West coast). Why do we need to have cars like Moyer, Bloomquist, Owens, etc. and race for peanuts?
.......Ok I'm done venting Undecided
maybe i should just hack my front clip off my car weld a stock stub on it (SS) 3 link it and race for similar wages (comparatively) hmmmm... I might be a little more competitive too. Sorry just being a little selfish.

Chad

Chad you are in the exact same situation I was in. I bought a car with a good motor and got a great deal. (Dick Sheppards car) My problem with racing that car, it was always in the back of my mind. If I blow this motor Im done. So I never really pushed it and it made racing not as fun. Now you blow a motor and you dont have 15k laying around to fix it so you have to sit until you can afford to fix it. This hurts the promoter financially and takes the fun out of it for you.This is why the 525 is the way to go. I dont understand why the promotors dont give the 525 THE ADVANTAGE. It would seem to me that the more the 525 engine won the more LM drivers would be interested in it. The result is far fewer blown motors and weekly costs of running the motors way down, gas,oil. The arguement is you cannot get the cars that light. Okay compormise, 2200 525 2400 big C.U. I would make the 525 as competitve as possible. Its in the promoters best interest. I know CK doesnt give a weight break for the 525 but ultimatly its not up to him. Its up to the track promoters. They want car count. My son graduates next year and Im thinking of buying another LM, I hope the rules favor the 525. Its healthy for the class. The big dollar guys may not like this but you dont have that many big dollar guys. Just my 2cents. Chet

IP Logged
Chris Kearns
LMR God

Reply #16 - 04/27/13 at 10:09am

This is a West Coast Late Model Show.
Entry fee is $50 each night.
Non qualifier is $100 each night

WWW   IP Logged
Chris Kearns
LMR God

Reply #17 - 04/27/13 at 10:18am

I will be supplying my transponder system, so Late Models will be qualifying.

We can use it for West Coast Super Stocks also, if Ruben plans to (has time to) qualify them also.

WWW   IP Logged
Chris Kearns
LMR God

Reply #18 - 04/30/13 at 11:40am

WWW   IP Logged
Late_Model_Mark
LMR God

Red Clay Report

Reply #19 - 05/01/13 at 3:30pm

Many solid and valid points. Affordable does not go along with any Late Model class, never will, just the way it is.

I have seen the 525 down here for 5+ years now, in my view, when the track is very heavy or fast, it is indeed slower, but how long does it stay heavy? Anywhere for that matter.

The 525 gets to run a 12" spoiler down here. You should here some of the 8" guys raise hell when they get worked over by the '25 with that blade.

2 examples of the merits of the '25 are Ronnie Johnson and Ross Martin. Winning big and little shows against sum big powerplants.

What still puzzles me besides the cost of operation in California, is still that dad gum state can't throw up at least 1, just 1 dang it, $10,000-to-win show, not one.

I'll tell ya, ol Bako draws some bigger crowds for a regular show that some joints I have gone to down here for $8 and $10-granders.

Wasn't it just  a few years ago during the terrific days of the Western All Stars that car counts were booming for the West? Then the usual hogwash ruined it yet again.

Thanks to SMS and Bako, LM racing is hanging on but not by much. That ticks me off. Angry

Please understand this next comment is not hatefull or bitter, but as in the past, this region is just full of excuses from car count, purses, tracks, and so on.

Yes it is different elsewhere like here in the 3-state area of Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee, but the racers don't belt out reasons why it ain't happening, they just go race. It is the track operators who are filled with worry due to the fact that there are so many tracks in the above region all vying for the racers and fans, major competition to say the least.

Maybe off this particular topic, within 175 miles of Birmingham you have these choices to run a LM and there just ain't enough of 'em to "all" have full fields.

The list in no order, the choices boggle.

Talladega Short Track-AL
Green Valley Speedway-AL
Fort Payne Mo. Speedway-AL
East Alabama Mo. Speedway-AL
Moulton Speedway-AL
North Alabama Speedway-AL
Magnolia Motor Speedway-MS
Columbus Motor Speedway-MS
Whynot Mo. Park-MS.
Thunderhill Speedway-TN
Duck River Mo. Park-TN
Winchester Speedway-TN
Tennessee National Raceway-TN
Winchester Speedway-TN
Boyds Speedway-GE
Cleveland Speedway-GE
Rome Speedway-GE
Dixie Speedway-GE
North Georgia Speedway-GE

Somehow they get it done and stay open. I miss the LM races at Bako and SMS, not the constant excuses, thanks for bearing with this long post, I need a drink. Huh

Late Model Mark
Green Valley Speedway Announcer
Moulton Speedway Announcer

IP Logged
formercrewguy
LMR God

The shrub brothers
are punks

Arizona
Reply #20 - 05/01/13 at 4:28pm

Tuscon has a 10 grander every year, with a 5 and a few 3's thrown in. The problem is tracks are spread out much more out here. You know this. Also, out East, the guys would rather have a $65,000 race car than a house. Hence they probably live in trailers. I'm willing to bet also that local sponsors are dumping MANY times more dollars in cars than out here. It costs alot of money to live out here......if not, then why did you retire in the South instead of the LA area?

Also,not raggin'.

"99% of Muslims aren't terrorists, but 99% of terrorists are Muslim"
  IP Logged
mudslinger47
LMR God

Well crap stuck with
the dickweed for
four more

Reply #21 - 05/01/13 at 6:43pm

I'm gonna relay a conversation I had with Pete on the way to Stockton 99.  He had talked to a buddy of his prior (a week or so), John Wilson. John said basically, raise the minimum weight of the Super a hundred pounds so the 525 could actually get the use of a 200 LBS weight break.   Initially, Pete thought it was a terrible idea, why he wouldn't stack a hundred pounds on the car for that...fast forward a couple of days, and Pete makes a 180 on the deal and remarks that it really isn't that big of a deal.

If the SLM drivers and owners were to be honest here, most of them are trippin the scales at darn close to 2400 now, if not over, and I think Pete is one of them that is over. And from prior chats with Rick F. their over too, as a mater of fact Rick feels the "numbers" are far more important then the weight (with in reason of course).  What it boils down to is the late model shows out here aren't generally going to pay much more then they do now for a local show and maybe just a bit more for the special shows, so you have to figure out a way to cut some of the expense to the racer.  We all know the cost of the new fire breather is in the high (very high) 30K range with re freshens from 8K and up to as much as 18K depending how bad you hurt it.  If you bought everything brand new for the 525, your at about 11K.  Still a lot of money but a motor that if taken care of will run you virtually cost free for three years. And by that I mean no freshen, only oil changes and maybe plugs occasionally.  All boils down to ya can't sell a show with 13 cars (on the average) you have to do something to build the class.  11K and pump gas will go a long way toward that.  A fix all?  Nope, but maybe a beginning.

I might point out the popularity of the sport mod...reason? A mods got ridiculously expensive....sound familiar?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.