Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 10/22/24 at 10:57am

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerTracksSANTA MARIA RACEWAY › KZOZ and Chris Kearns this morning

Pages: 1 2 
KZOZ and Chris Kearns this morning (Read 12227 times)
benstrans
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

KZOZ and Chris Kearns this morning
08/23/12 at 5:02pm

I don't live in the area, but I COULD (and DID) tune my computer to KZOZ this morning just in time to hear Chris Kearns OFFICIALLY say that this is his last year as promoter of SMS.

A quick look at my calender reassured me that it wasn't April 1st.

Chris went on to say that there have been 'negotiations' with interested parties, that he would NOT 'just walk away', and was adament about the fact that the previoius promoter wasn't a candidate.

As for the future, he sounded confident that the track would continue to do businss as usual and that the future promoter could be able to do even more than Kearns has done since his rather hurried, rocky, start.  

p.s. I'm VERY surprised that this board didn't EXPLODE with comments.

IP Logged
Late_Model_Mark
LMR God

Red Clay Report

Re: KZOZ and Chris Kearns this morning
Reply #1 - 08/23/12 at 5:20pm

Oh %*#$, 'the' hardest working guy in Cal in many a year throwing in the towel, crapola.

If totally accurate, that blows, but I realize that the 'wizard' has endured more excrement from the county, racers, and fans than most.

Late Model Mark

IP Logged
Aftermarketheads1
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #2 - 08/23/12 at 6:09pm

Really latemodelmark? The Wizard? did you get a tingle up your leg when you talk to him too? LOL
Anyways, I am just throwing out names and this has no fact behind it but I think Pete Vaniderstine should have a shot at this again. Sorry for the spelling Pete.
The guy has ran the track before. He knows the old school way that Doug ran this place and the family trusts him. The suck ups won't have any effect on what he will do or how he runs things.
I had heard when Chris was first getting in that Brent Kaeding may have had some interest but that never materialized.  
I really only see Pete for this job right now. What do you guys think?

IP Logged
formercrewguy
LMR God

The shrub brothers
are punks

Arizona
Reply #3 - 08/24/12 at 8:02am

benstrans wrote on 08/23/12 at 5:02pm:

Because it is only news to those on here that don't go to SMS. Rumors have been flying for over a year now.

"99% of Muslims aren't terrorists, but 99% of terrorists are Muslim"
  IP Logged
mudslinger47
LMR God

Well crap stuck with
the dickweed for
four more

Reply #4 - 08/24/12 at 8:08am

Aftermarketheads1 wrote on 08/23/12 at 6:09pm:
Really latemodelmark? The Wizard? did you get a tingle up your leg when you talk to him too? LOL
Anyways, I am just throwing out names and this has no fact behind it but I think Pete Vaniderstine should have a shot at this again. Sorry for the spelling Pete.
The guy has ran the track before. He knows the old school way that Doug ran this place and the family trusts him. The suck ups won't have any effect on what he will do or how he runs things.
I had heard when Chris was first getting in that Brent Kaeding may have had some interest but that never materialized.  
I really only see Pete for this job right now. What do you guys think?

Pete has stated publically that he would be glad to help in an advisory roll but has little or no intrest in "running" the track.

Duane

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, I JUST DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY!!
  IP Logged
WESTCOASTDIRT
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/24/12 at 9:39am

My guess for new promoter would be someone that has a sucessful business already and has money to run the track. I would also guess that the new promoter already races at the facility now! Sorry to see Kearns leaving as promoter of SMS, but I think we might see him promoting somewhere else in another state.

IP Logged
SawyerRacing98
LMR God

Bakersfield Ca.
Reply #6 - 08/24/12 at 9:59am

I bet him and kevin Montgomery team up since kearns has that gf in arizona. As far as who gets track it should be who had inltbin 2004. Place was multi grooves a.d hooked up bad fast always awesome place

IP Logged
benstrans
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 08/24/12 at 10:04am

formercrewguy wrote on 08/24/12 at 8:02am:
benstrans wrote on 08/23/12 at 5:02pm:

Because it is only news to those on here that don't go to SMS. Rumors have been flying for over a year now.

I'm at the track quite often and HEAR lots of RUMORS.  I treat them as what they ARE, RUMORS.

This statement made yesterday on the radio was OFFICIAL and from Kearns himself.  

That is why I brought it up on this board.  

IP Logged
Ruben M
LMR Senior

Lompoc
Reply #8 - 08/24/12 at 10:16am

Sawyer , When was the last time you raced at SMS? The track has been bad ass fast Multi groove racing. Ask Spencer and Showtime how the track is? Not trying to start anything just saying the track is hooked up. Come on down and check it out.

Ruben Munoz
(805)315-2023
ruben@racesantamariaspeedway.com
YIM   IP Logged
formercrewguy
LMR God

The shrub brothers
are punks

Arizona
Reply #9 - 08/24/12 at 10:39am

Sawyer doesn't like "hooked up" tracks. He said so himself.

"99% of Muslims aren't terrorists, but 99% of terrorists are Muslim"
  IP Logged
SawyerRacing98
LMR God

Bakersfield Ca.
Reply #10 - 08/24/12 at 11:38am

Lol i raced the last mod race there and it was slimy the whole race. It was horrible. Idk why it gets like that. And for the record i love any track as long as its driveable. Not slime. I think its the clay there. Idk why it does that. Im not talking crap i am just stating a fact... i hope new clay get brought in....

IP Logged
KidCrockett21
LMR Member

Reply #11 - 08/24/12 at 11:47am

So who is going to get the Santa Maria Speedway Truck!!!lol

21j
  IP Logged
benstrans
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 08/24/12 at 11:52am

KidCrockett21 wrote on 08/24/12 at 11:47am:
So who is going to get the Santa Maria Speedway Truck!!!lol

It's probably part of the 'inventory' so the new promoter should get it.

IP Logged
mudslinger47
LMR God

Well crap stuck with
the dickweed for
four more

Reply #13 - 08/24/12 at 12:23pm

Probably an advertising deal for SM Ford, I bet they get it!!!   LOL

Duane Wink

PS    Time for Chris to expound!!!!

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, I JUST DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY!!
  IP Logged
Frazier15
LMR God

I wanna go fast

CA
Reply #14 - 08/24/12 at 5:08pm

Ruben M wrote on 08/24/12 at 10:16am:
Sawyer , When was the last time you raced at SMS? The track has been bad ass fast Multi groove racing. Ask Spencer and Showtime how the track is? Not trying to start anything just saying the track is hooked up. Come on down and check it out.

Ruben-

Robbie is right in a way. The clay, and the surface were different back then, and WAY more hooked up than SMS has been in years. Not faulting anyone or trying to make a statement about track prep or anything like that. But it is what it is. Maybe the clay that they put on the track a few years ago is the deal.

Mazak..Carquest...Sully And Son hydraulics...AMC Machine...Gils transmission...Industrial Automotive Machine...Cal Coast Recovery...Industrial Radiator...OEC Inc... [img]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i207/FRZR15/Specialty20
  IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #15 - 08/24/12 at 6:58pm

I will say this and I know it may suck to hear but I wish Nettie would sell the track.  It's going to be hard for someone to really invest in something they don't know they will have in a year or two.  Nettie at this point in her life is completely disconnected from racing and any promoter who takes that place over has to make a large amount to money to not only live but to pay her share which leaves little for making improvements to the track.  She may be investing in upgrades behind the scenes but I think the donated time has been the bulk of improvements to that place.

Play the all new "DANNY SIMKINS - 11 STRAIGHT - trivia game." Only at teamsimkins.com.
WWW | AIM   IP Logged
steph
LMR God

www.ByStephanieOdom.
com

Denver,  CO
Reply #16 - 08/24/12 at 7:04pm

I nominate Jason Papich and or Tony Toste!

WWW   IP Logged
RAYO
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #17 - 08/24/12 at 8:26pm

Nice thought, but with all the racing they do personally in multiple classes I can not see them interested in spending the time it takes to run a facility away from their first love, racing.

IP Logged
Frazier15
LMR God

I wanna go fast

CA
Reply #18 - 08/24/12 at 8:27pm

imracin68j wrote on 08/24/12 at 6:58pm:
I will say this and I know it may suck to hear but I wish Nettie would sell the track.  It's going to be hard for someone to really invest in something they don't know they will have in a year or two.  Nettie at this point in her life is completely disconnected from racing and any promoter who takes that place over has to make a large amount to money to not only live but to pay her share which leaves little for making improvements to the track.  She may be investing in upgrades behind the scenes but I think the donated time has been the bulk of improvements to that place.

What he said.
Either that or a long term lease. No one is going to invest in someone elses property, unless they will see the money come back, and 2 or 3 years probably won't cut it.

Mazak..Carquest...Sully And Son hydraulics...AMC Machine...Gils transmission...Industrial Automotive Machine...Cal Coast Recovery...Industrial Radiator...OEC Inc... [img]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i207/FRZR15/Specialty20
  IP Logged
Aftermarketheads1
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #19 - 08/24/12 at 9:12pm

A ten year lease at least would be a good start. Whoever takes over the track will need up front money to repair the plumbing, electrical and any other structure issues.
Its going to be hard find someone that is willing to just rent and have a bank account to support the growing pains it will take  to get this track where is was.
The track also needs to go back to basics. This years schedule was a total mess. We need the basic division of Hobby's, Late Models, modifieds to be represented regularly not 5 or 6 times in an entire year. Ocean speedway has the sport mods 23 times this year.
Its just going to take some work.
I would also suggest that any new promotor attempts to use the track during other days of the week to generate revenue. If the promotor is making money with concerts, rodeos, motorcycle racing or whatever, he or she can turn that into investing in the track.
It will be interesting to see what happens the next few months
If its not Pete mudslinger then hopefully it will be Brent Kaeding. If not him then somebody has to get Papich to buy the darn place and hire a manager like Dave Castenetas to run the place. He does most of the work behind the scenes anyway.

IP Logged
Chris Kearns
LMR God

Reply #20 - 08/24/12 at 9:30pm

Aftermarketheads, it seams like you have it figured out! Lol. Now is your chance.

Even when im walking away, ignorant comments still piss me off!

WWW   IP Logged
Aftermarketheads1
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #21 - 08/24/12 at 10:31pm

What was ignorant about my comments? I didn't even mention anything about you.
The only thing you could possibly be upset about is the schedule is a mess comment. Well tough. It sucks Chris. It just does and you can't argue that. What's your headline this weekend? Modifieds, thats it...they put on a good show but they are not headliners.
How about you take some serious advice and while you may be pissed off you can't deny it will help you.
A month ago or so I am at the track and watch you our promotor spoon your new girlfriend while you are walking up and down from the stands to the pits and back again. I was embarrassed for you. Your wearing a Santa Maria Speedway uniform and acting like a Freshman in high school.  If you want to be taken seriously, try to stop that kind of stuff in the future.
Good luck to you in USAC and learn to take minor critisism.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.