reverse spring split (Read 92593 times)
propit21
LMR God

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

brawley, ca
reverse spring split
02/24/12 at 8:32am

just a question how many people run reverse spring split with the front springs.  Having a heavier LF spring compare to the RF spring.

What are some of the pros and cons of this setup? Not asking for teams setup just how many guys run this kind of setup and what is the pro and con of running it?

we do not run this setup and run a lighter LF and heavier RF setup.

IP Logged
sj_valley_dave
LMR God

Love the smell of
nitro in the air

Re: reverse spring split
Reply #1 - 02/24/12 at 9:45am

We run a reverse split in the DLM...Tightens the car up going in and helps pin the RF down to keep the LR up on the bars easier...Anywhere from 150-50 lbs depending...

IP Logged
propit21
LMR God

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

brawley, ca
Reply #2 - 02/24/12 at 10:58am

thanks dave maybe on this board we can have a conversation about this...

just trying to learn some new info so thats why asking the questions.  As I understand it takes bite (cross) out of the car going into the corner? am i wrong?  

Does the light RF spring transfer more weight or less or the same?

on a 4 link or 3 link car that uses hike to promote more traction pinning the nose down seem like it could help keep hike in the LR.  What about in a hobby stock or a street stock that doesn't use hike in the chassis?

If you don't want to answer the questions it ok am just trying to learn what might be a good setup for a few cars am working on right now.

IP Logged
RED2
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #3 - 02/26/12 at 9:44pm

In my opinion and experience, it's not a big deal to have reverse split or not. Front end geometry, roll center & height , and where it migrates to is controlled partially by spring rates when you look at body roll or dive on corner entry. With a completely fab front end like a late model these things are built in and or adjustable so you can run the car at different attitudes. Control arm length and mounting location determine where the geometry can go , the springs determine how far it will travel through it's range.
If you simply soften the right front spring the car will be more tight off the gas, and more free on the gas. If you stiffen the left front spring it will tighten entry off the gas as it will hold more weight on the rr on entry and the middle and exit will not be much different as weight is coming off the spring .
A softer spring stores more energy and will transfer more weight if it can rebound.
This is just my thoughts and what we have learned and applied. We have run split , even , reverse , and had success with all of it. Just remember your not just changing spring rates and chassis manufactures usually have spring recommendations for this reason.
Hope it helps. Good luck.

IP Logged
Sparky56
LMR God

Z-Boyz Racing

Reply #4 - 02/28/12 at 8:01pm

I ran 900 r/f, 950 l/f on both 56 cars. Helped get the car in a little easier. More noticeable when we went to the 500's.....

ON THE WOOD IS GOOD Cool
  IP Logged
propit21
LMR God

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

brawley, ca
Reply #5 - 03/02/12 at 8:51am

thanks for all the good info on here.  Bobby thanks for explaining all that info that is really helpful and with your results i know you know what you are talking about.

on our prostock/ss car we just switch to 900/950 spring rate in the front with the RF heavier.  We have gone lighter on RF spring and it seems to have to much roll.  But at smaller tracks that dry out its fine because we need that roll to get side bite in the car. On larger track such as we run for our home track its a little tacky at the beginning of the night and starts to slick off in the main but we carry alot more speed into the corners so we run a stiffer RF spring.  

"heavy spring get the weight" with this term more weight will transfer to the RF spring with it being the heaviest?  So if you run a reverse setup more wieght transfer to the LF?  So just softening one or the other might hurt the set up other then helping what you are trying to achive at times.  Hope i am explaining this right from what i understand.

I want to try a reverse spring set up on a hobby stock car that am helping a friends with its a 3400 lbs metric car all stock. The car is loose mid to exit with not foward drive.  I was thinking this setup might help because their are not alot of different way to adjust these cars other then stagger, offset, and maybe shocks.  The car front springs right now is LF 1050 RF1200 which is a big split and seems stiff. Does anyone thing a reverse split of LF 950 and RF 850 to light or should it be something more like LF1050 RF 950?

Thanks for the all the help everyone.

IP Logged
Sparky56
LMR God

Z-Boyz Racing

Reply #6 - 03/03/12 at 5:24pm

Try 1000 r/f, 1050 l/f, get 7 to 8 degrees pinion angle. Get sphereical bearings for the rears of the trailing arms so when it rolls it won't bind up. Maybe try a 100#, 16" spring for the l/r, it should give you foward bite Wink

ON THE WOOD IS GOOD Cool
  IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.