LMR Senior

My heart says
Latemodel, my wallet
says Ministock.

Nipomo
Camaro or Nova
01/25/12 at 1:41pm

Pros or Cons for either?  SMS rules.  

Looks like the Camaro is 74.4" wide.  108" wheelbase.   Nova 111" wheelbase and can't find a width.  Front suspension is the same or pretty close.

I'm guessing that the Nova will be more stable at speed, and the Camaro more maneuverable.   Any input would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Slip
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Re: Camaro or Nova
Reply #1 - 01/25/12 at 5:20pm

Hands down, Camaro. The shorter wheelbase puts the engine closer to the rear wheels, without cheating the setback rule, and increases rear bite. The only reasons to run the Nova over a Camaro (other than availability) would be if there is a rule prohibiting the Camaro (like the old NASCAR rule) or a 109" minimum WB rule. Nova suspension and steering parts do interchange, so they make good parts cars...

IP Logged
Slip
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #2 - 01/25/12 at 5:25pm

If your are shopping around for a suitable candidate, PM me. I have a running '78 with a lot of extra suspension parts, spare front clip, rear rails, body parts, a couple of sets of aluminum bumpers, wheels, and most of the safety and racing parts to make it a stock car.

IP Logged
Racin38s
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #3 - 01/28/12 at 6:53pm

I have another point of view why a nova is better. The camaros sit to low in the rear end limiting the amount of lowering blocks u can run in them. We have a camaro and a nova and the nova is a better car hands down. If it was a super street then camaro because u can build ur own rear clips but for a hobbie no question. Look at the fast cars around 85% are novas.

IP Logged
Ensign3
LMR Senior

My heart says
Latemodel, my wallet
says Ministock.

Nipomo
Reply #4 - 01/28/12 at 8:28pm

Are you talking room between the frame and axle?

IP Logged
JOHNSON_22c
LMR Senior

ready to have fun in

bakersfield,california
Reply #5 - 01/28/12 at 11:54pm

Nova all the way handle better and the rear leaf springs ar differnt look at bako like 7 of the last 8 champs in a nova don't waste your time on the camero

IP Logged
Missle Motorsports
LMR God

Sportsman &
Modified #57m

Racecar Ranch, Calif.Foothills
Reply #6 - 01/30/12 at 9:26am

aren't most of the BAKO area Nova's using Camaro Front-Subs?

WWW | YIM   IP Logged
Slip
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #7 - 01/30/12 at 10:17am

I have seen the #22, and it does make a compelling case for the Nova....

IP Logged
Trinity Motorsports
LMR God

To God Be The Glory!

Reply #8 - 02/04/12 at 8:01am

Nova...

WWW   IP Logged
18racr
LMR God

We have a Fraud in
the White House.

Reply #9 - 02/04/12 at 6:08pm

OK,, been watching this post,, people say a Nova handles better, why do they handle better? wheelbase? If thats true why do the streets want as short as they can get?  please explain why.... yes I agree there are more Novas in the class in Bako, and yes they win more but is that because there are 3 times as many? Please help the rest of us understand why you think a Nova is the better handling of the two,,Thanks

IP Logged
SawyerRacing98
LMR God

Bakersfield Ca.
Reply #10 - 02/05/12 at 3:55pm

all novas i have seen are using nova front subs... bako got strict a couple years ago and made them stay with the nova nova camaro camaro...

now as far as why the nova is better.... if you measure the front of the leaf springs center to center on both cars and then measure the rears center to center you will find the camaro leaf springs run straight in the car and the novas are 3 inches wider at rear. and with the nova having a higher roll center it adds more side bite into the car.

as far as why are SS running short wheel base... its cause they arnt very bright... 2004 i had 13 main event wins with 110 inch wheel base nova... we built a new car in 2009 and had 3 wins... springs were positioned in the car just like a nova... 3 inches wider in rear... wheel base was 108... but car was fully fabricated chassis so we had the spring location moved from  stock...

hope this answers your question...

IP Logged
childressJr.16
LMR God

IS WHAT IT IS

Bakersfield Ca
Reply #11 - 02/05/12 at 5:02pm

IN my opinion It doesnt matter what u HAVE NOVA or a CAMERO! Depends on how car is built and how GOOD u do your "HOMEWORK" the 26 camero is bad FAST also 22 Camero is bad fast & my UNCLE DAVIDS "CHEVELLE" is quik do some homework an anything CAN BE FAST!!!

J.M.O    RICKY CHILDRESS

"OUTLAW"RICKY CHILDRESS!!!
  IP Logged
WOOD Racing #13
LMR God

"GIT R
DONE"

Bakersfield, Ca
Reply #12 - 02/05/12 at 8:43pm

childressJr.16 wrote on 02/05/12 at 5:02pm:
IN my opinion It doesnt matter what u HAVE NOVA or a CAMERO! Depends on how car is built and how GOOD u do your "HOMEWORK" the 26 camero is bad FAST also 22 Camero is bad fast & my UNCLE DAVIDS "CHEVELLE" is quik do some homework an anything CAN BE FAST!!!

J.M.O    RICKY CHILDRESS

BINGO!!  THAT'S THE SAME THING I WAS THINKING..  I HAVE SEEN BOTH BE VERY FAST AND OTHERS NOT SO FAST.

Jacky "Go to the Front" Wood
2013 Hobby Stock Champion

Got a good ring to it anyway.. LMAO
  IP Logged
Tate #62
LMR God

WHEN IN DOUBT
THROTTLE OUT

Reply #13 - 02/08/12 at 5:40am

Ricky nailed it!!!
When something is built right it tends to work

WWW   IP Logged
TURBO98
LMR God

If everythings under
control u're not
fast enough

bakersfield
Reply #14 - 02/08/12 at 10:54am

I have a complete 77 nova with no eng / trans, if someone wants to make an offer

IP Logged
CaliforniaPickle14B
LMR God

Drive A Dirt Sport
Mod Have A Blast

Madera CA
Reply #15 - 02/26/12 at 10:19pm

well i know this is about camaros an nova but what about monte carlos they all seem to be the IMCA stock car are they better then both camaros and novas???????? Pros Cons cut it in half lol

LETS GO SPORT MODING
California Pickle On Dirt Driving The 14B Sport Mod Nick Lawrence AKA PICKLE
Phone # 209-752-5320
Call or Text Anytime
another site/pickle14b
EMAIL lawrencetowingandrepair@gmail.com
WWW | Skype/VoIP | YIM   IP Logged
TIM_BEWLEY
LMR God

road zombie

Reply #16 - 02/27/12 at 8:11pm

in imca stockcars it's rules say "no camaros or firebirds" now why they dont run novas beats me. maybe it's a wheelbase thing.

PAN OFF GETTING A 1" INSPECTION PLUG!
  IP Logged
oldman98
LMR Member

that one stunk

Reply #17 - 02/28/12 at 8:36pm

SawyerRacing98 wrote on 02/05/12 at 3:55pm:
all novas i have seen are using nova front subs... bako got strict a couple years ago and made them stay with the nova nova camaro camaro...

now as far as why the nova is better.... if you measure the front of the leaf springs center to center on both cars and then measure the rears center to center you will find the camaro leaf springs run straight in the car and the novas are 3 inches wider at rear. and with the nova having a higher roll center it adds more side bite into the car.

as far as why are SS running short wheel base... its cause they arnt very bright... 2004 i had 13 main event wins with 110 inch wheel base nova... we built a new car in 2009 and had 3 wins... springs were positioned in the car just like a nova... 3 inches wider in rear... wheel base was 108... but car was fully fabricated chassis so we had the spring location moved from  stock...

hope this answers your question...

but heres something u didn't mention...the 04 car was a nova with a camaro front clip...i like to use the camaro clip because of the smaller frame size...and if the rules do not say oem lowers a-arms...one can use ford lowers and make the the width wider by 3 inches...but a wider rear end must be used...i was taught that the rear should only be 2 inches narrower...but then again...in 04...our secret was drum brakes on the rear...

don't forget...driver and set up have a little part in making a car work...no matter what chassis it is...

IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.