Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 10/22/24 at 10:43am

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerTracksSANTA MARIA RACEWAY › Bakersfield/Santa Maria Speedway install Electronic scoring systems

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Bakersfield/Santa Maria Speedway install Electronic scoring systems (Read 40124 times)
Chris Kearns
LMR God

Bakersfield/Santa Maria Speedway install Electronic scoring systems
01/06/12 at 3:50pm

Dirt track racing just got better for two California tracks:

Two of California’s premier dirt track facilities have taken another step to improve racing at each track. Over the off season, Bakersfield Speedway and Santa Maria Speedway have met with Electronic Scoring Systems suppliers to see what would be the best option for both track and racer budgets.

Promoters Scott Schweitzer and Chris Kearns have chosen MyLaps/AMB Transponder Systems for their respective facilities and are very pleased with what is to come. The two race tracks were amongst a very short list of Dirt Tracks in California not running an Electronic Timing & Scoring system.

“I think this is the best move by the both of us to install an electronic scoring system at the tracks.  MyLaps/ AMB made it an easy choice for us” remarked Bakersfield Speedway promoter Scott Schweitzer.

Santa Maria Speedway promoter Chris Kearns stated “ We share a lot of mutual racers. I am glad Santa Maria Speedway and Bakersfield Speedway have adapted this system together”.

Transponders can be purchased through each Speedway for $399 plus tax or rented on a nightly basis for $20 per night.
Racers that already own MyLaps/AMB Transponders will be able to use their own at both tracks.

For transponder purchase contact:
Chris Kearns @ 805-714-8538 or chrisk.usa@gmail.com
Scott Schweitzer @ 661-393-3373 or speedway@wildblue.net

WWW   IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Re: Bakersfield/Santa Maria Speedway install Electronic scoring systems
Reply #1 - 01/06/12 at 4:14pm

Play the all new "DANNY SIMKINS - 11 STRAIGHT - trivia game." Only at teamsimkins.com.
WWW | AIM   IP Logged
sj_valley_dave
LMR God

Love the smell of
nitro in the air

Reply #2 - 01/06/12 at 4:14pm

That is great news Chris...Glad both tracks make the jump to transponders. It is really nice to see your lap times in hot laps, heat races, etc and see where in the event it occurred..

IP Logged
1oldphart
LMR Rookie

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 01/06/12 at 4:27pm

rc won't work only 260 series work....paul

IP Logged
ninjaforce2
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #4 - 01/06/12 at 4:46pm

are we gunna be able to get sheets of our lap times then?

IP Logged
steph
LMR God

www.ByStephanieOdom.
com

Denver,  CO
Reply #5 - 01/06/12 at 4:52pm

ninjaforce2 wrote on 01/06/12 at 4:46pm:
are we gunna be able to get sheets of our lap times then?  

www.mylaps.com

WWW   IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #6 - 01/06/12 at 7:20pm

1oldphart wrote on 01/06/12 at 4:27pm:

Do they not have enough juice to send a signal?   According to their site the AMBtrans 160 is good to 160Kph or 99.4 MPH and is used often in karts and quarter midgets.  A 15 second lap on a 1/3 mile track is an average speed of 80mph.  The max height is 2 feet so mounting on the car should be doable at some point on the car.  The price of 160 is still pricey but much cheaper than the 260.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=4639

Play the all new "DANNY SIMKINS - 11 STRAIGHT - trivia game." Only at teamsimkins.com.
WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Rodney
LMR God

Reply #7 - 01/06/12 at 9:19pm

imracin68j wrote on 01/06/12 at 7:20pm:
1oldphart wrote on 01/06/12 at 4:27pm:

Do they not have enough juice to send a signal?   According to their site the AMBtrans 160 is good to 160Kph or 99.4 MPH and is used often in karts and quarter midgets.  A 16 second lap on a 1/3 mile track is an average speed of 75mph.  The price of 160 is much cheaper than the 260.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=4639

I don't know the why's or how come's. There was a team parked next to me one night at Irwindale that was new to big cars and used thier Karting unit. Thier results where either all over map or didn't register at all. They stuck the correct unit on and everything was fine.

At first we thought maybe it was a height thing, but that didn't seem to matter. I don't think anyone was faster than mid 16's on the big track that night. I heard simular stories from some friends in the northwest.

IP Logged
1 Fast hobby
LMR Rookie

Doing it in the
dirt!!!!

Reply #8 - 01/06/12 at 9:37pm

Did I read this right? Another 20 bucks a night or 400 up front to race at bako or sms? That is bull sh1t. WTF!!! I don't race to make money, but to add an additional expense and get nothing in return is bs.

IP Logged
sj_valley_dave
LMR God

Love the smell of
nitro in the air

Reply #9 - 01/06/12 at 10:32pm

You can use it as a chassis tuning aid...It also helps reduce scoring errors and you can see how your set up went as the laps go on during the race. Were you faster toward the beginning or did the track come to you and you can see exactly how far off the pace you are, etc...

IP Logged
Chad11
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 01/07/12 at 7:45am

1 Fast hobby wrote on 01/06/12 at 9:37pm:
Did I read this right? Another 20 bucks a night or 400 up front to race at bako or sms? That is bull sh1t. WTF!!! I don't race to make money, but to add an additional expense and get nothing in return is bs.

AGREED!!!!! Now I am looking at $65 a night just to get through the gate. It appears this is just another source of income for the tracks. Members don't get a break on transponder rental? Extra added expense for the racers with raceivers and now transponders and no break in membership price. This WILL affect car counts. I have already erased the memorial race in SM off my schedule. Bako is fortunate that they are my home track and most of my racing will be there, but now I'm not going to take vacation days on saturdays i have to work in order to race. I will miss 3-4 races at least throughout the year now. I will be even more inclined to support Victorville on off nights as well. WHAT ABOUT PORTERVILLE OPENING??? What happened with that?

IP Logged
17t_racer
LMR God

Addicted to dirt!

Reply #11 - 01/07/12 at 8:02am

Chad11 wrote on 01/07/12 at 7:45am:
1 Fast hobby wrote on 01/06/12 at 9:37pm:

AGREED!!!!! Now I am looking at $65 a night just to get through the gate. It appears this is just another source of income for the tracks. Members don't get a break on transponder rental? Extra added expense for the racers with raceivers and now transponders and no break in membership price. This WILL affect car counts. I have already erased the memorial race in SM off my schedule. Bako is fortunate that they are my home track and most of my racing will be there, but now I'm not going to take vacation days on saturdays i have to work in order to race. I will miss 3-4 races at least throughout the year now. I will be even more inclined to support Victorville on off nights as well. WHAT ABOUT PORTERVILLE OPENING??? What happened with that?

I Agree with you guys. what about the two day shows like Chad is talking about $40 bucks more! No thanks!

Kern Body Works, Terry Bedford Concrete Construction, St. Clair Realty and Bonas Pest Control. VIsit our site @ www.vfgracing.webs.com
  IP Logged
SawyerRacing98
LMR God

Bakersfield Ca.
Reply #12 - 01/07/12 at 8:49am

now i am the budget racer as much as the next guy... now the way i heard how this is going to work is... you rent it for $20 a night... at the end of the year... you have race say 20 times thats $400 and you will get your transponder given to you... so if you race 10 times then thats $200 and you can either buy it or not for the remaining $200. now this was just what i HEARD so i dont know how much truth is behind it but i think that is definitely fair. if that is the case then there is no extra money going into the track owners pocket. i think for all of as bakersfield we would just like to see a scoreboard update and some new alluminum pit stands... that way we feel like our money is going back to the racer.... its like when you pay all these taxes and our city roads are still messed up... it feels nice when you see nice roads and tax dollars at work... just my opinion....

IP Logged
ninjaforce2
LMR Member

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #13 - 01/07/12 at 9:25am

we had to run this transponder on the pavement, it works fine and it can be used as a tuning tool to some degree, not only do you get your times but you get everyone elses to.  Also by having it show you ur laps times it can help you kinda sort out your car from the heavy track to dry track.  I like the idea, but we didnt have to rent it a race either, we just had to give up our drivers licence and when the night was done we would have to return it and get it back.  But with both the recievers and transponders on board i think we will all enjoy it!

IP Logged
Chad11
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 01/07/12 at 9:58am

If your $20 rent fee goes towards the purchase of a transponder, that would be more fair. It's things like this though ($400 transponder/$100 raceiver) that prevent new racers from getting into the sport.

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #15 - 01/07/12 at 10:11am

I didn't know they were rent to own, that might help.  If it's like hanford though the track rentals come in a large charging unit that charges all at once.  So you wouldn't have the charging units needed.  If you have to spend 400 bucks, you're better to buy the one that hard wires into your car battery.  Then you're not messing with the charging aspect and there is no battery to go dead after a few years.

Also, I will assume there will be a well teched spot on the car that these are to be mounted as someone with one mounted near the radiator will have a half car length advantage to someone mounting it in the cockpit.

WWW | AIM   IP Logged
SawyerRacing98
LMR God

Bakersfield Ca.
Reply #16 - 01/07/12 at 10:53am

billy you are correct with this statement... when i ran irwindale part of tech was making sure we all had our transponders in the correct location. we all should have to run them and the midplate (or back of block) we all have a down bar right there for the most part...

IP Logged
WESTCOASTDIRT
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 01/07/12 at 12:55pm

SawyerRacing98 wrote on 01/07/12 at 10:53am:
billy you are correct with this statement... when i ran irwindale part of tech was making sure we all had our transponders in the correct location. we all should have to run them and the midplate (or back of block) we all have a down bar right there for the most part...

Don't know if these are the battery driven or the harness type? I would opt for the harness type instead of the battery driven! Only cause the harness type basically requires zero maintenance.

IP Logged
over4t
LMR God

Leaf lifer

Reply #18 - 01/07/12 at 1:05pm

Yep, it's an added expense for transponders and/or raceceivers but you just have to face it guys.  They're here to stay, like it or not.  In my opinion you'd be smart to just put it on the plastic and just buy them.
If you do buy get the hard wired transponder, put it in and forget it.  Our's has been on the car for 3 years with no problems.  The chargeable ones don't last as long, cost more and take a long time to charge.  If you forget to charge it until you're loading up to go to the track you're screwed.
 As for where to locate them that's all over the place;  late models are generally, like Sawyer says, on the back of the mid-plate,  WISSOTA has a different spot,  Lakeport Speedway is a few inches from the right front corner, etc.  Our 2 regular haunts require them but don't say where.

IP Logged
Joe_Odom11
LMR Member

santa maria, ca.
Reply #19 - 01/07/12 at 3:25pm

are they required in the lower classes like american stocks...400 bucks is outragoues for something like that when you are already on a very tight budget and idk if american stocks are going to get paid this year we didnt last year and these expenses are adding up with the raceivers last year and now transponders.may not be racing much this year if thats the case

IP Logged
imracin68j
LMR God

Do the impossible

Reply #20 - 01/07/12 at 5:20pm

Bringing the negativity on here doesn't do anyone any good.  The best thing you can do is contact Amb/Mylaps directly and let them know of your new situation and what you think of their rediculously overpriced product. What could possibly be in that thing that would cost 400 dollars? My Xbox 360 whoops the $hite out of the tech on that thing and only cost 200 buck. lol

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/corporate/contact

WWW | AIM   IP Logged
Chad11
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 01/07/12 at 8:27pm

No, the tracks should not force us to pay for this. Do you think these extra costs are going to help buildthe division you race in? I just cannot understand how Chris and Scott would think this is a justified expense. Raceivers I understand..charging for the use of transponders I don't. Let's look at other tracks that charged for use of transponders in the past. Chow? Merced? Hanford? It ran racers off at those tracks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.