12/02/11 at 6:27am

Just wondering what everyones opinions are.Afco or Landrum

IP Logged
over4t
LMR God

Leaf lifer

Re: Best leaf springs
Reply #1 - 12/02/11 at 7:42am

We've run leafs forever and had Afcos, Landrums, Black  Magic, Speedway Motors and many we've built from junkyard stuff to suit our needs and, frankly, couldn't tell much difference in performance or longevity.
   Just get the rate you want and keep them maintained and replace them when they get bent laterally or the arch starts to go.  Higher priced ones never seemed any better than the cheaper ones.  My opinion from a lot of experience with them. Good luck.

IP Logged
childressJr.16
LMR God

IS WHAT IT IS

Bakersfield Ca
Reply #2 - 12/02/11 at 4:39pm

We happen to get less races out of afco.& Now stick with landrums!! But everyone has there own opinions!

"OUTLAW"RICKY CHILDRESS!!!
  IP Logged
jrtracing
LMR God

CA
Reply #3 - 12/06/11 at 7:54am

I don't know that it matters what kind you buy, but if you're not having David Hays at A-1 Spring re-arch the RR every 3 or 4 races, your car is probably not at it's full potential. That's one thing I learned driving over there. I'd never re-arched them that often, but you can feel an increase in side bite after he does. RR about every 3 or 4 races and LR every other time you take the RR in.

YIM | AIM   IP Logged
jimss21x
LMR Rookie

Got to beat that old
man!

Pahrump, NV.
Reply #4 - 12/06/11 at 6:45pm

Greasing them seems to help a lot.

Go like hell and just before you meet the devil, turn left and go faster...
  IP Logged
XMODRACER
LMR Senior

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #5 - 12/06/11 at 10:56pm

throw m in the trash and mount a coil ! JK guys . my limited experiance says landrums ................ ! never tryed rearching them , pulled em out at the end of the season and chkd arch , within a 1/4 in
Wink

IP Logged
AJ55
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/07/11 at 7:41am

Multi leaf is hands down Landrum, they hold there rate and arch much longer than any others.

Mono Leafs is Hypercoil, there composite is the best of the best.

We stock afco,Landrum,Hypercoils
have a spring rater if you need to rate any coils or leafs.

We ran leafs for 20 yrs, mounting and the way you mount is very important for side bite and forward bite.

" we will see you at the races "
  IP Logged
over4t
LMR God

Leaf lifer

Reply #7 - 12/07/11 at 3:44pm

I  agree with jimss21x about keeping them lubed up and especially with AJ55 about how important mounting is.  Splay on each side, front to rear mounting heights are both extremely important.  You can make a car tight, loose or all kinds of funny if you don't do it right. Sure have seen a lot of really bad mounting. There's a lot more to running leafs than just the rate.
  Can't run monos in our class anymore nor the composites  in CA.  Nevada tracks are mostly legal on composites and guys I know that run them love them.  Of course they're about $300 a pop.
  As for rearching I haven't done it for years.  Shops up here charge about $80-100 each.  When a new stacked leaf from Landrum is about $100 it's not worth it to me.  Did my own when I was young & broke with an anvil and a 8 lb. hammer.  Arms looked like Popeye but felt like Olive Oyl's when I was done.  If I had A1 Springs for a sponsor I'd feel different.

IP Logged
DIRTRACER5252
LMR Rookie

Dirt Late Models
Rule!

Reply #8 - 12/07/11 at 8:26pm

leaf spring...whats a leaf spring.....coils forever!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.