Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register 10/22/24 at 12:31am

SATURDAY NIGHT RACER
Saturday Night RacerTracksSANTA MARIA RACEWAY › 2010 WEST COAST STREET STOCK RULES

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
2010 WEST COAST STREET STOCK RULES (Read 62349 times)
smartguy
LMR God

Popularity breeds
contempt

North Bay
Re: 2010 WEST COAST STREET STOCK RULES
Reply #88 - 10/29/09 at 2:14pm

i have a feeling if we get some hooked up tracks next year, people will be wanting that big cubic inch with a 4bbl....maybe not so much for when they throw in a dry slick, but ifs its hooked up and slinging clay i would think youd want a big motor with a 4bbl....its not like SMS goes dry slick every week like some other places around the country do  Grin

Go Fast or Go Home!!!!!!
  IP Logged
OLD SCHOOL#6
LMR God

CHEVY RUMBLE !! 

Reply #89 - 10/29/09 at 3:23pm

Hey smart-one ........ you really do crack me up sometimes.  I'm sure your "feelings" about big motors and 4bbl's, comes from all your years behind the wheel of a race car at SMS.  Were you there when the G-60 tire was tested?  Did you notice that the track was as good as it can get?  Did you hear the test driver when he said he could "not" use all the motor he had (365c.i. with 4bbl)?  With the new tire rule in 2010 there is no need for big motors "or" 4bbl's, they will be a problem..................

"SMOKE ' UM" -- the unlawfull act of depositing large amounts of rubber on a hard surface such as asphalt or concrete.
AIM   IP Logged
Chris Kearns
LMR God

Reply #90 - 10/29/09 at 6:32pm

OLD SCHOOL#6 wrote on 10/28/09 at 9:02pm:
Chris Kearns wrote on 10/28/09 at 7:27pm:
1) So they over power the tires

2) I was told 4 bbl is harder on the motor. Hopefully this will keep guys from buying high dollar, lightweight bottom ends

1)  You have opened up the c.i. rule.  Cars with big engines and 2bbl carbs will not have a problem over powering the harder tire compound. I have seen the engines of the past (365 c.i.) with 2bbl carbs over power tracks that just slick off a little (with the medium compound tire). That is why I say why a 4bbl ??

2)  You are very correct, a 4bbl is harder on a motor, which means a guy "must" buy higher dollar bottom end parts, whether they buy "light" stuff or not just kinda depends on personal preference.

Please don't take this as a personal attack on you.  I think you made a reasonable decision changing the tire, and doing so there was no reason to change the engine rule because it will take a lot "less" motor to use them.  This is one of those deals where you and I just have two different points of view, I just hope everything works out for the best....................jmo

Dont worry Oldschool, your name says it all. Just kidding. Anyways, no worrys, I disagree with people all the time, or they disagree with me is more like it. Anyways, if it doesnt work, I guess everyone can blame me. I believe it will work though and our car count will go up.

WWW   IP Logged
32MORGAN
LMR God

2007/2008 SMS
SUPERFACTORYSTOCK
CHAMPION

SANTA MARIA CA.
Reply #91 - 10/29/09 at 9:37pm

OLD SCHOOL#6 wrote on 10/29/09 at 3:23pm:
Hey smart-one ........ you really do crack me up sometimes.  I'm sure your "feelings" about big motors and 4bbl's, comes from all your years behind the wheel of a race car at SMS.  Were you there when the G-60 tire was tested?  Did you notice that the track was as good as it can get?  Did you hear the test driver when he said he could "not" use all the motor he had (365c.i. with 4bbl)?  With the new tire rule in 2010 there is no need for big motors "or" 4bbl's, they will be a problem..................

old school, i disagree with you.......lets look at the 2bbl motor as it was ..limited cubic inch, and 2bbl. required 10-20 thousand dollars to make 475 to 500 hp. THAT'S A PROVEN FACT. THE SS HAVE PROVEN THAT.

JR MOTORSPORTS sells a 383 on a 4bbl that will do that for around 7500. and i think that with a little horse trading i can build on for half that, but we will see. i will be racing a ss in 2010 and i believe the rule changes are helping to make that possible. JMO

i would like everyone to get the f*** over it and see if maybe we can build the class instead of all this B.S.

oldschool, if you were putting togather a ss, what 500 hp motor do you think you would rather pay for?

NAPA-RAY'S AUTOPARTS, SULLY &SON HYDRULICS, MERLO'S CULTERY.COM, NEW YORK LIFE(TERRY MERLO), B C PUMP, DEISEL INJECTION SYSTEMS, LOS PADRES GLASS & MIRROR, GIL'S TRANSMISSION, OEC, SOUSA TIRE, PRAXIAR
  IP Logged
NAILIT
LMR God

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #92 - 10/29/09 at 10:10pm

So a guy gets  down the straight away with a big CI motor and the 4 barrel kicks in and breaks the tires loose, has to lift then peddle it again  
the guy with a 2 barrel, his motor keeps pulling to about 7200 RPM, smooth acceleration never breaking traction(sp)  and out deeps  the big motor into the corner......

"ONE MORE LAP YOU WOULD HAVE HAD HIM"

WWW   IP Logged
32MORGAN
LMR God

2007/2008 SMS
SUPERFACTORYSTOCK
CHAMPION

SANTA MARIA CA.
Reply #93 - 10/30/09 at 7:45am

ya buddy, that's what the WHEEL-MAN'S for. this is not a entry class, the old EvsW had some of the best drivers around and imo that's what made it great.(not the rules)(or the tire)(or the 2bbl). jmo  the new tire will have it's challenges with grip, nothing to do with eng, and every driver would rather have extra power then not enough.

NAPA-RAY'S AUTOPARTS, SULLY &SON HYDRULICS, MERLO'S CULTERY.COM, NEW YORK LIFE(TERRY MERLO), B C PUMP, DEISEL INJECTION SYSTEMS, LOS PADRES GLASS & MIRROR, GIL'S TRANSMISSION, OEC, SOUSA TIRE, PRAXIAR
  IP Logged
OLD SCHOOL#6
LMR God

CHEVY RUMBLE !! 

Reply #94 - 10/30/09 at 8:29am

32MORGAN wrote on 10/29/09 at 9:37pm:
oldschool, if you were putting togather a ss, what 500 hp motor do you think you would rather pay for?

I guess my answer would be, I would want a motor with some built in "reliability" ( a word nobody has addresed yet).  We'll see how these JR Motorsports engines hold up pulling around an extra 550 lbs.  Not saying they can't, just saying this could be interesting...............

"SMOKE ' UM" -- the unlawfull act of depositing large amounts of rubber on a hard surface such as asphalt or concrete.
AIM   IP Logged
32MORGAN
LMR God

2007/2008 SMS
SUPERFACTORYSTOCK
CHAMPION

SANTA MARIA CA.
Reply #95 - 10/30/09 at 9:17am

i understand reliability, may only concern for my motor is it needs to stay togather(forever would be my wish). the lack of traction in the tire should be enough to offset that loss. a aftermarket standard weight crank (IMO) is stronger then the atfermarket 32-40 lbs cranks that are running now and require to be run with the 2bbl. when timmy tested the imca tire he commented on the lack of forward bite, so you would think that it should be easier on our motors, yet to be seen.

the 10- 20 thousand dollar motors that are out there now don't blow up. most all of the new cars i know of coming oout in 2010, won't have more than 3-4 grand. in this case you may see a few more motor issues related to using cheaper parts and less labor. not the rules. i'm sure the guy with his 20,ooo dallor 4bbl motor will be just fine

IP Logged
OLD SCHOOL#6
LMR God

CHEVY RUMBLE !! 

Reply #96 - 10/30/09 at 10:59am

I think you are looking in the right direction when you talk about reliability, although the 32-40 lb cranks don't "have" to be run with a 2bbl, just ask the LM guys, they all use them in those $30,000.00 pieces, I do think a heavier crank will pan out better for ya' in the long run.  One of my biggest concerns with the big motors and 4bbl's is there will be guys out there that can not "hook" the power and there will be car controll problems.  The Modified class is starting to develop a "crash fest" attitude and I think it is becuase a lot of the guys have more power than they know how to handle (and the fact that a lot of the guys know nothing about the sophisticated rear suspension).  The racing was better back when the motors were less exotic and there actually "was" claiming going on.  Time will tell..........

On another subject ------ Really glad to see you are moving into the SS.  The class needs cars and I'm sure you will bring a quality team and be an asset to the division.  Good luck to ya' in 2010............

AIM   IP Logged
32MORGAN
LMR God

2007/2008 SMS
SUPERFACTORYSTOCK
CHAMPION

SANTA MARIA CA.
Reply #97 - 10/30/09 at 11:54am

thanks for the compliments, old school. you can't take the squirell out of new racers, we just have to develop. the better racers have the patients and set-up, driving skills to over come it most of the time. stuff does happen and when the ss class take off and car counts get to 30-40 like the mods the wrecks will happen. don't look for it to much next year with lower counts and not as many new drivers. hope you stick around, maybe you can crew wtih me.

IP Logged
OLD SCHOOL#6
LMR God

CHEVY RUMBLE !! 

Reply #98 - 10/30/09 at 1:25pm

Don't know about the "crew" part, but beware I will have my eye on everyone...............lol..  Again - good luck in 2010.............. Wink

AIM   IP Logged
sj_valley_dave
LMR God

Love the smell of
nitro in the air

Reply #99 - 10/30/09 at 3:16pm

This will be interesting to see what happens..I still think this $20,000 SS engine is someone exagerating what they have in it or someone who got bent over when they bought it...IMO. In 06 we looked at getting a 4.125 Dart block with a 38 lb Bryant crank, piston guided rods, 15:1, Honda journal, maximum angle cut Dart heads that dynoed at 525 hp with a gauge legal Willy's 4412 from an engine builder in NC and we were looking at $15,000. Absolutely pushing the rules to the limit. We ended up with a 358" that had a 48 lb LA Billet with Carillo rods, etc. Some things used some new, had $9,000 in it and it dynoed at a honest 470 hp, ran it 1400 laps with zero problem! Never was clearly out horsepowered in the EvW. Handling was the deciding factor most of the time. In fact we relied on the engine's HP quite a bit of the time!!  LOL   Just so tired of hearing this $20,000 number thrown about!

IP Logged
32MORGAN
LMR God

2007/2008 SMS
SUPERFACTORYSTOCK
CHAMPION

SANTA MARIA CA.
Reply #100 - 10/30/09 at 4:24pm

sjv d , you make good points. that is the extreme and i'm over it just defending the fact that i beleive the new rules will allow more people to race in this class as well as those that already invested into the 2bbl stuff. it's my opinion that becuase of all the money racers are skipping the ss and going straight to imca mods, mostly because there's no car count and motor costs. now the motor, trans, rear gears and even tires are the same costs. somewhat of a latteral move back and forth, but only time will tell. something did have to change and i dont think many disagree with that. i read your advise on 4m and hear and resect your thoughts. kirk

IP Logged
smartguy
LMR God

Popularity breeds
contempt

North Bay
Reply #101 - 11/02/09 at 12:15am

OLD SCHOOL#6 wrote on 10/29/09 at 3:23pm:

funny, i've never heard of a mod being on a 2bbl?  Roll Eyes

Go Fast or Go Home!!!!!!
  IP Logged
steph
LMR God

www.ByStephanieOdom.
com

Denver,  CO
Reply #102 - 11/02/09 at 1:15am

smartguy wrote on 10/29/09 at 2:14pm:
i have a feeling if we get some hooked up tracks next year, people will be wanting that big cubic inch with a 4bbl....maybe not so much for when they throw in a dry slick, but ifs its hooked up and slinging clay i would think youd want a big motor with a 4bbl....its not like SMS goes dry slick every week like some other places around the country do  Grin

Thanks for pointing out the obvious for us  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
smartguy
LMR God

Popularity breeds
contempt

North Bay
Reply #103 - 11/02/09 at 7:48pm

o, anytime...lmao!!! Grin

Go Fast or Go Home!!!!!!
  IP Logged
Meneley1
Ex Member

Reply #104 - 11/02/09 at 9:16pm

Do you have a SS or any other car smart guy?

IP Logged
Ian
LMR God

dirt racing
rules!!!!!!

California
Reply #105 - 11/02/09 at 9:26pm

Quote:
Do you have a SS or any other car smart guy?

he's only allowed to ride the short bus... But I think he's saving up for a smart car...  Grin

Ian Mcbride
Late Model Crew Guy

I DO GRAPHIC DESIGN, WEB DESIGN, AND VINYL!!! PM me for info!

YIM | AIM   IP Logged
Meneley1
Ex Member

Reply #106 - 11/02/09 at 9:40pm

Now that's funny right there!  Grin

IP Logged
smartguy
LMR God

Popularity breeds
contempt

North Bay
Reply #107 - 11/03/09 at 1:34pm

for a smart car......lol.... yah right......i'd buy a moped before i ever bought a smart car....might be fun though to take a smart car to the fairgrounds as a tough truck when they have the monster trucks shows though...lol

Go Fast or Go Home!!!!!!
  IP Logged
TIM_BEWLEY
LMR God

road zombie

Reply #108 - 11/09/09 at 8:28pm

sj_valley_dave wrote on 10/30/09 at 3:16pm:
I still think this $20,000 SS engine is someone exagerating what they have in it.

that would be 4 someone's

PAN OFF GETTING A 1" INSPECTION PLUG!
  IP Logged
Chad_E._Jeffreys
LMR Senior

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

California
Reply #109 - 11/12/09 at 12:37am

This is not an opinion, it's a fact,  the 4 barrel carb rule will kill this class. I'll take just a minute to explain. The guys that don't have a real solid rotating assembly will put the 4 barrel on to defend themselves, and POW, we're going yellow for another blown engine in turn 4..... mark my words, I've tried it and it's a big BOOM. Not to just the racers but to the class as a whole as well as many loyal fans. Again, just a proven FACT.     Chad

You must know more than all the experts I have talked to. And I thought they were all pretty smart people. Oh well !

JEFFREYS Fabrication is coming soon!!! Get it right or don't get it at all.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 

Saturday Night Racer » Powered by YaBB 2.2.3!
YaBB © 2000-2008. All Rights Reserved.